April 22, 2022
** Caucus calls for passage of bipartisan climate bills and celebrates climate action in first session of 117and**
(Washington, DC) – On Earth Day, U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) joined fellow members of the bipartisan Senate Climate Solutions Caucus to endorse climate legislation that would promote nature-based solutions that support our farmers, our forests and our oceans; make communities more resilient to disasters and climate impacts; and stimulate investment in renewable energy. The caucus is chaired by Senators Chris Coons (D-DE) and Mike Braun (R-IN), and members include Mitt Romney (R-UT), Angus King (I-ME), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) , Michael Bennet (D-CO), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Susan Collins (R-ME), Jacky Rosen (D-NV) and Rob Portman (R-OH).
“Earth Day reminds us of the importance of protecting the natural beauty of our world for the next generation, and that means taking action to build a cleaner, safer and more sustainable future. Our beautiful open spaces are part of our identity in the Granite State, and we must all do our part to protect them.From investments in the clean energy sector that help create well-paying jobs to improving the resilience of our communities, the weather press as we face the existential threats of climate change,” said Senator Shaheen. “I was proud to negotiate the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which has been signed into law and includes key provisions of the legislation I drafted to prioritize energy efficiency, and made a once-in-a-generation investment in sustainable solutions that ensure both our infrastructure and our workforce are ready to lead in the 21st century.
A number of bills endorsed and led by members of the Climate Solutions Caucus were signed into law in 2021 as part of the Infrastructure Investment and Employment Actincluding:
- of Senator Shaheen and Senator Portman Smart Manufacturing Leadership Actthat will help small and medium US manufacturers adopt smart manufacturing technologies that reduce their energy consumption and costs.
- of Senator Stabenow and Senator Portman Law of REPLANTINGwhich provides additional funding to the Reforestation Trust Fund to meet replanting needs.
- of Senator King Battery and Critical Minerals Recycling Actwhich will coordinate the recycling and reuse of lithium-ion batteries and contribute to a safer flow of critical minerals into the United States.
During the second session of the 117and Congress, the Caucus approves:
- of Senator Braun and Senator Stabenow Climate Solutions Growth Actwhich is co-sponsored by all 14 caucus members and passed the Senate 92-8 in 2021. The bill will help farmers, ranchers and foresters participate in carbon markets and get paid for sustainable practices without adding a penny to our national debt.
- of Senator Portman and Senator Coons Rainforest and Coral Reef Conservation Reauthorization Actwhich passed the House in 2021 and again allows debt-for-nature swaps.
- At Senator Rubio’s Resilient Reef Restoration Actthat will help state and local governments, as well as non-governmental sponsors, revive our country’s coral reefs.
- Senator Coons’ Financing Our Energy Future Actwhich gives investors in clean energy projects access to a tax advantage that is currently only available to investors in fossil fuel-based projects.
- of Senator Bennet and Senator Romney Act MATCHwhich will speed recovery from a wildfire while saving taxpayers money.
- of Senator Baldwin and Senator Rubio Built to lastwhich will make communities more resilient to extreme weather conditions by supporting climate-resilient infrastructure.
For more information on the activities of the Climate Solutions Caucus, please visit the caucus website here.
Next article Previous article